Monday, February 7, 2011

Things I will miss.

Today was my last day working as a zookeeper intern. Although it will be nice to have my weekends back, there are a few things I will miss:

The smell of acacia in the morning. The morning calls of the birds and monkeys. The roaring of the lions as they greet the new day.

That particular soreness between the shoulders that only comes from raking.

The cool dark feedhouse that smells like molasses and bread.

The volunteers...the retired police officer who sometimes thinks she's broken, but is one of the strongest people I know. The retired fire fighter with spectacular hair and a beautiful spirit. The hairdresser who compulsively organizes. The one and only male, gentle and soft-spoken and a geek at heart. The grandmother. The photographer who modestly hides her truly amazing talent. The endless parade of students and recent graduates-hopeful, energetic and ready to make the world a better place for animals. And many more whose stories I never knew, but who I felt united with as we worked side by side.

The keepers...S, delightfully open and friendly, very easy to work with and who can walk faster than anyone I know. A, the beating heart of the team. Can do a clean-catch urine sample on a giraffe. The only person I've heard lovingly cussing out her animals.

The giraffes...the bully, the bad tempered but seemingly lonely, the princess, the tall one with the beautiful face, the pushy one you have to love, the matriarch.

The eland with their crazy and beautiful eyes.

The gazelle with the delicate walk.

All in all, an experience I won't soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment