Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thoughts on my new tattoo

I recently got a new tattoo. I had some thoughts that I would like to put down...

First of all, I would like to address the comment that I get most often: “aren’t you worried about being an old woman with wrinkly skin and tattoos?” My answer is no, I am not worried. I don’t care. I am not currently saving myself for when I’m 80. Why should I live today for when I’m an old woman? When I’m old, I’ll be old. I will have no one left to impress. My skin will be spotty and wrinkled. I think a little ink will be better than plain old skin.

With that out of the way, let me tell you some of the details. The fish is called Synodontis angelicus or an Angel squeaker. I love catfish and this is my favorite. It is related to the upsidedown catfish. They are found only in the Congo river system, whose banks I played on as a child.

The tattoo took two and a half hours to complete. Yes, it hurts...a lot.

This summer has been a challenging one for me. I found out that I had severe arthritis in my right knee and is likely in my back and other knee. Had surgery to remove much of the cartilage and am still recovering from that. I was not able to complete a much-anticipated internship at the zoo because of issues with my knee. Family summer activities were greatly curtailed because of my lack of mobility.

That is why my fish is breaking out of a net. It symbolizes struggle and working to overcome obstacles. Fact of the matter is, life will always have it’s struggles. My new tattoo is a reminder of that and an encouragement to keep fighting to break free.

I think a good tattoo rises to the surface from the deep places inside you. When something touches me powerfully, I want to mark my body and tell there the story of my life. I suffer the pain for the permanence. Life moves on, but nothing can change the fact that I decided to mark this moment in time and give it significance.

2 comments:

  1. You don't need to explain this tattoo or any others to anyone. It's your life. Worrying about life at 80 is like wondering what color our flying cars will be and if they go with our space suits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not NEED to explain your tatoo, however it's very helpful. I am very grateful to understand what you were thinking, when getting your tatoo; a bold statement that's important to you. All too often it WILL get misinterpreted. I think it's very helpful to have a reason, an explanation, and a story to your decision.
    It's a very tough decision; and can have consequences to the relationships of those around you. It's easy to say "it's my life", but I think the people you love are worth considering. I am sure it would have been tougher to get the tatoo without Joe's support.
    It's an awesome tatoo and I can't wait to see it in person. :D

    ReplyDelete